Wednesday 25 July 2012

Introductions


Let’s get the introductions out of the way early, shall we?  For those of you that land on this blog out of the blue, let me just say hey, how ya doing? My name is Chloe.  I’m going to Kathmandu, Nepal.  The clues are in the title but the niceties must be observed.  For those of you that know me ... well, that first bit wasn't really for you.

Anyway, in 2010 I was lucky enough to be given the rare opportunity to go to an incredible country, meet remarkable and wonderful people and have the experience of a lifetime.  I was a volunteer with Platform2, a scheme funded by the U.K government’s Department for International Development and run by Christian Aid.   I lived in a small village called Sirutar, nestled in the lush Kathmandu Valley in Nepal, helping to build a school there while learning about global issues such as agriculture, water and sanitation, healthcare and education.  I took away cherished memories from that trip, and since my return home I have been eager to get back and have a second go at Nepal.  

This October, I will be doing just that, and this time, I will be doing it alone.  I will be spending 8 weeks based near Kathmandu by an orphanage where I will be volunteering with 30 children.   I will also be taking time to visit the city of Pokhara and the mighty jungles of Chitwan, as well as taking in the cultural splendour of the Dashain and Tihar festivals.  I'll be saying goodbye to much of western civilization, eating so much rice it will be coming out of my ears (though if last time was anything to go by, that may be the only place it's coming out of) and assaulting my senses with curry for breakfast every day.   Basically, I'm taking myself out of my comfortable little life here in Northern Ireland to bring myself back to what's important, as well as using the time to look to the future and decide where I want life to take me in 2013 and beyond.

I’m hoping that this blog is an effective way of communicating with friends and family back at home while I’m away, as well as reaching out to a wider audience of those wishing to take a trip to Nepal.  I’m sure I’ll experience a few things while I’m away that will be worth sharing so I hope some of you stick with me and enjoy what is going to be a memorable and exciting journey.

And in case my excitement for this trip hasn’t been adequately expressed…

I’M GOING BACK TO NEPAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment